Thursday 25 February 2016

TRANSDICIPLINARY- a multi skilled profession!

   Following on from my last blog, I have been analysing my work more and more, discovering my situation is definitely TRANSDICIPLINARY.  'Gibbons et al' has a theory of Mode 2, 'although originally applied to scientific inquiry' (Reader 4) is applicable to my working life. As discussed previously, I use a many number of disciplines  outside of performance arts- competences and capabilities;

* Administrator- As my main source of income is from performing in Care homes, I have to sort out all in prices for each residency, send marketing material, send off info to new clients, as well as dealing with all the banking.

* Social media consultant- We spent much of module 1 going over just how much we use social media as a platform to promote ourselves and network to benefit our career. A huge amount of my time is spent updating my Linkd In and Facebook, putting up new promotional pictures, as well as messaging and networking to make new connections. It is so important to keep on top of it in order to progress in an ever developing technical world.

* Tele sales Communicator- As I am self employed, I have to go out and get my own work, being responsible for getting new gigs constantly. This involves cold calling residential homes,hotels, event organisers, selling my product (myself) in order to book new gigs. It requires an awful lot of patience and thick skin as often you are spoken to in a rude manner or simply cut off.  I prepare 'script' guidelines in order to ensure I get all the relevant information in, with list of prices, shows etc.

* Music Technician/editor- Providing a variety of shows to a variety of audience, I am required to have a huge repertoire of music of different genres. In order for the shows to run smoothly and slick, I have to edit tracks; cut songs, mixing two together, ensuring all volumes are balanced to name a few things. I do all of this myself using software programs and apps, something I have had to teach myself over my professional life.

Other competences include:  costume and set designer, producer,  prop maker, human relations and business manager.

It is safe to say performers really have to be 'jack of all trades' going above and beyond the performing arts skills we trained in. I feel these competences will continue to grow in the future as my career develops, as I am creating a website and a  branching out nationally. This will mean learning graphic design along with many other entrepreneurial skills involved with a growing business.


No comments:

Post a Comment