Tuesday 22 March 2016

Task 5a

Task 5a

Possible ethics I need to consider in my inquiry.

   As I am intending to inquire about arts within care and residential homes, I will be faced with many ethical concerns and problems, I will have to ensure they are looked into properly and dealt with accordingly. This first blog are my initial thoughts before reading through all the ethical acts.

  - Because I am working with elderly and/or disabled people, I must ensure I always  refer to each person or group of people with the correct terms. Reader 5, Case Study 5, Taken from Walliman, N. (2009) “Honesty & Research Ethics” (Chapter 8). in Your Research Project. 2nd ed. London: Sage p. 343, is a great example of how important it is to address people properly. Rather than using correct and appropriate language to address someone such as 'elderly,' he simply addresses them as 'the old dears', an extremely unprofessional term, that could potentially cause offence. I will ensure every address or reference will be written with up most politeness.
- Every person, whether it be a carer,resident, family member or coworker, must be protected under the Data Protection act. I must certify no personal details are revealed and the policies of the care home are kept private should they wish so. This is also important for myself and my business, as I feel discretion and privacy are essential if I wish to keep my clients happy, rather than openly writing about them and their management.
- Also, particularly as I am working with vulnerable people, my questions must be chosen carefully. It is crucial I do not make anyone feel uncomfortable with questions that are too personal or difficult to answer. Every person interviewed must be aware they can retract at any time, if they feel the investigation is not suitable for them.

 These were my initial thoughts, without any detailed research. My following blog will contain facts from data protection, human rights etc. However I would love to hear peoples thoughts on this and if any other issues you feel may crop up. All feedback is greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Ami - as much of our focus concentrates on practice rather than research with participants - in your case vulnerable adults - the research can concentrate not on the the people who benefit form your dance classes - but the professionals who plan the classes - or similar theories - and those who provide them - make sense? So this concentrates on the practice - not necessary what you already do in your job role - you can - with permission - review that in your reflective journal - call Paula for a 1-1 for writing this up for your ethics form and Employer-Professional Support form.

    ReplyDelete