Saturday 26 March 2016

Task 5b

Task 5b

Codes of conduct

   After researching  many codes of conduct and ethical issues within my chosen topic of entertainment within care and residential homes, I came across many acts and legislations which were applicable to this. I would not say necessarily say they differed from my initial thoughts in 5a, but expanded my knowledge, so I have a solid understanding of what ethical measures I need to take when carrying out my inquiry.


   Data protection is upmost important and although I had a rough idea of what it entailed before, I now know exactly what is required and how it would affect my inquiry.

1. The Data Protection Act
The Data Protection Act controls how your personal information is used by organisations, businesses or the government.

Everyone responsible for using data has to follow strict rules called ‘data protection principles’. They must make sure the information is:

used fairly and lawfully
used for limited, specifically stated purposes
used in a way that is adequate, relevant and not excessive
accurate
kept for no longer than is absolutely necessary
handled according to people’s data protection rights
kept safe and secure
not transferred outside the European Economic Area without adequate protection


(Taken from the Data Protection Act- https://www.gov.uk/data-protection/the-data-protection-act)

    When interviewing or observing people, I will endeavour all personal data will be kept confidential, with the information I gather used only for the inquiry. I will also make certain no personal or uncomfortable questions are asked that may make the party uncomfortable or feel exploited. This is particularly important as I will be talking about illnesses such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, I have to be really sensitive about details regarding health that should be kept private.

  More specifically I looked on the Alzheimer's Europe website which raised a few ethical points I felt were relevant to my work; 'Many people who are in the early stages of dementia have the capacity to consent to participation in research. However, it is important that researchers understand that people with dementia may have certain difficulties with comprehension, attention span, memory and communication. For this reason, researchers need to take extra care to ensure that the information they have given has been understood and to respect each person’s pace.' (Alzheimer-Europe.org Consent in case of incapacity or reduced capacity to consent) As this may sometimes be the case with my interviews, I must be completely respectful, understanding people work at different paces and also I must certify, if working with a resident, that a carer is present throughout any interview.
   This leads on to 'Substitute decision-making' regarding people who cannot consent because of dementia. It is vital 'the research entails only minimal risk and minimal burden for the individuals concerned'(Alzheimer-Europe.org substitute decision making). I would never wish to cause burden on anyone, especially vulnerable people so I have to make everything as easy and enjoyable as possible.
   When conducting any research or interviews it is 'the researchers’ responsibility to ensure that potential participants fully understand what is involved as this is the basis for informed consent. Once the study is underway, the researchers may acquire additional information which they need to share with participants.' (Alzheimer-Europe.org The general Procedure). Everything should be clearly laid out to make it easily understood for anyone involved with no hidden agendas or uncertainties.

   The last website I looked at was The British Psychological Society (www.bps.org.uk/sites/defaults/files/documents/codes_of_human_research.pdf)
 On the whole they covered similar issues to Alzheimer Europe ensuring you respect the integrity of the people involved with your research knowing the 'knowledge must be generated and used for beneficial purposes' (2.3 Social Responsibility).
   With regards to respect and dignity they have a great value statement I think is good for my work-

'2.1 Respect for the autonomy and dignity of persons
Value statement: ‘Psychologists value the dignity and worth of all persons equally, with sensitivity to the dynamics of perceived authority or influence over others and with particular regard to people’s rights including those of privacy and self-determination’ (Code of Ethics and Conduct, 2009, p.10).'

I feel this is a value statement I have to adopt myself when carrying out my inquiry, as I wish to maintain all respect not only for the people involved but for myself and my business as an entertainer, knowing I am researching for beneficial purposes, whilst helping others and making them feel influenced determined for a better cause.


Overall I hold all these ethical values anyway throughout my professional and personal life, so I will not find anything unusual or uncomfortable to adopt.
If anyone knows of any other websites that are useful for ethical values, please comment below as any feedback is extremely helpful.










No comments:

Post a Comment