Saturday 24 September 2016

Keeping up with the times!

  As part of my practice, I always try to keep up with current affairs within the entertainment industry, particularly within the care and residential settings. 'Care Home U.K.' Often have interesting articles, with this next one being great for my inquiry and helping my own work within this field.

http://www.carehome.co.uk/news/article.cfm/id/1564836/some-performers-perspectives-on

   As I predominantly work alone, it's good for me to read the thoughts and feedback from another performer in this area of work. Whilst I agreed with many points raised in the article, there were points where my own experiences were very different. Nicole Gaskell explains how her 'songs from the 50's, 60's and 70's are especially well received'. From my own experiences working within care homes I find 50's overall is well received and the 60's is often well received (dependent on residents). However the 70's often is not known by the audience so it doesn't go down as well as the other decade shows. Below is an extract from my journal recalling a particular 70's Disco show.

Journal Entry September 2016

    One show today 'Disco Fever' for an elderly rest home. I was quite apprehensive about doing this show as I usually only do this for care homes for younger residents, e.g children's homes, disability homes etc. However they had specifically asked for a 70s show, so I presumed they would be quite lively and up for a dance and sing along.
    When I arrived, I began setting up and played some background music from 'The Jackson Five' and a couple of residents seemed to be interested in what I was going to be doing. Once the show started the first number 'Waterloo' by Abba, the residents were clapping along and seemed to be enjoying themselves, but no singing along. As the show went on, many of the residents were not familiar with the 70s so be so began to switch off a little, with some going to sleep and others seeming to disengage. Whilst I felt they enjoyed the music and dance, the 70s did not really seem to be an era they connected with. I have performed at that care home before doing a 50s rock and roll show and also a Musical style show. Both those shows, residents were singing along to every song, a few getting up to dance and a lot more interaction throughout.



    As these opinions differ so much, i will look into this further, trying to ask other performers in this field their thoughts and past experiences. Perhaps I am using material that may not be as suitable as what other entertainers use.

   Gaskell goes on to say 'Whether its past memories, or the refreshing change of new faces and live entertainment, its always rewarding to know you've put a smile on that person's face' I feel this is the most crucial element of performing in these environments; It is so much more than singing frivolous songs. its providing a service through performance, which can effect people's moral and mood. This is why I chose to perform in these places as it becomes more than singing and dancing and I feel rewarded after each and every show.

The article has also helped me discover some new companies which I can look up research to develop my knowledge and also compare with my own experiences:

* Casagua Ltd Theatre Productions
*Arts on the Move- Alison Chaplin
*Red Sauce

 Look out for more blogs on articles like these.. I would love to hear feedback from any similar topics or issues.


(All quotes taken from carehome.co.uk ''Drama has positive effect on mental health in care homes")
    

No comments:

Post a Comment