Wednesday 5 October 2016

Getting the most from the arts

Whilst researching articles for my literature review I came across a very interesting statement, which I feel directly affects my work on a daily basis.
   The 'Hearts and Mind' organisation ran a three year programme with 'Age Exchange Theatre Trust', writing up an evaluative report on this in between 2011-2013. They ran performance workshops in care and residential settings throughout those years and reported their findings. One recommendation they stated was, 'Age Exchange's creative practice and ability to influence the culture of care is restricted by a lack of management involvement, regulations in care settings and some inflexibility in the model of workshops' (Nicholson, 2013). I find this extremely true within many residential homes I perform in; factors such as funding cuts, restricts how often they can hire outside entertainment, lack of staff involvement plays a significant part in how much the residents become involved themselves. Also time restrictions, often due to set meal times, the only convenient time for shows are 2pm, so naturally these slots are always very busy so it is difficult for homes to book in the times and dates they desire.
   Below are two extracts from journals, comparing two shows; one where I was left alone with the residents with no involve met from staff, and one experience which was completely the opposite.

Quote taken from: 'Summative Evaluation of Hearts and minds, A Three Year Programme by Age Exchange Theatre Trust, Royal Holloway University of London, Professor Helen Nicholson, 2013, pg 8)

Journal extract- May 2016

   First show of the day was a 'Musical madness' show. My first visit to the residency, I was shown to the dining room where the residents had just finished breakfast so were still sat around tables, facing various directions of the room. I set up as instructed in the corner of the room, assuming the residents would be gathered around the area and turned around from the breakfast table. However I was soon enough left alone in the room without careers or staff and none of the residents were moved around to face the performance. Of course I cannot handle anyone so could not move them myself, so had to adapt my performance to move around the room so they could see me at some point.
  Although the residents appeared to enjoy the show, and said they did afterwards, I felt most of them could not get a full experience due to being all over then room. Something so simple as moving everybody so they are in clear focus can have such an effect on an experience. They were not fully engaged as they had restricted view and therefore could get distracted or loose attention quickly.

Journal extract- February 2016

   I arrived around 15 minutes early to set up, and the residents were already sat waiting listening to a 'Frank Sinatra' cd, which tied in well because I was performing a Swing style show. The activities co ordinator was handing out drinks to the residents and some snacks. There were three other care staff in the room tending to various residents as they were settling down for the show. Once the show started the residents began to sing along, with the careers and co ordinator going round to residents encouraging to sing and dance in their chairs. During the song 'Can't Take my Eyes off of you' they got several residents up to dance and then a few more got up on their own accord. This spurred the other residents to clap along to the song. This positive atmosphere was kept up the. For the rest of the performance wit various people getting up to dance throughout and everyone was singing along and clapping.


The two performance were so different from a little participation from the staff. I feel this is such an important part of performances as the residents know and trust the carers so are much more likely to let go and get more involved with their encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment