Friday 14 October 2016

Using props within performances

Continuing my research for my inquiry, I have come across many interesting papers and articles on performance arts within care homes. In 'Remember to Dance'(Vella-Burrows, Wilson 2016) they talk about the use of props in their dance sessions;

'A growing body of evidence has examined the benefits of props to stimulate sensory integration, interaction and self expression. Dance movement therapist Patricia de Tord observes that variety of props can be used to support participants co-ordination, creative impulses and imagination'

   This got me thinking of my performance and the different shows I do. For some shows I use props and others I do not. For example in my 1940s shows, I give each resident a Union Jack flag to wave during the show. I feel this does encourage the. to participate more, as they feel a part of the whole thing, becoming involved rather than being outside observers. It often gets people feeling patriotic so gather a sense of pride for their country and the songs that were so relevant during a time the country was at war. This supports the idea of improving social integration and interaction, as I always find this show most people sing along, dance (if they are able) and wave their flags throughout.
    One other example of this is during my Christmas festive shows, I give each resident a party prop e.g a tinsel scarf, santa hat, reindeer antlers etc. This appears to get them more into the party spirit, with the props being a focal point for interaction with others. Some props, the reindeer antlers for example, are very comical, so it usually strikes up laughter and conversation between residents,even ones that do not usually interact. The props also add a sense of occasion to the shows which I feel has a positive effect on the residents participation.
   Moving forward as a professional I feel I should look into my other shows and see what props I could perhaps incorporate and how that would benefit the way in which the audience received the performance.

Quotes taken from- Remember to Dance
Evaluating the impact of dance activities for people in different stages of dementia
Trish Vella-Burrows and Lian Wilson

De Tord, P. and Braununger, I. (2015) Grounding: Theoretical application and practice in dance and movement therapy. The Arts in Psychotherapy, 43. DOI: 10.1016/j.aip.2015.02.001

No comments:

Post a Comment