Thursday 14 April 2016

More thinking points- Reader 6

Reader 6- further notes

   The Reader was extremely useful as it had thinking pints throughout, after each topic, helping me reflect on what I had just read. I felt it was useful to blog these thoughts to share them within my professional network and perhaps get some feedback on other peoples thoughts.


Analysing observations

What preparation do you need to do for your pilot observation?

   As I wish to understand how people plan their entertainment sessions within care homes I will aim to record a rehearsal of some performers, along with another recorded interview afterwards. That way I can clearly see how they structure their shows and ask them what choices they make and why they make them.

Are there specific things on which you are focusing? How are you recording the data? Why?

Specifics-
*How Long are your shows and why?- grasps an idea of perfect session lengths.
* Song choices- eras, genres etc
* How to adapt to different spaces.
* What themes do you do? Which one works best? Why?

I will record this session using a video using a video device as I can then look back on the rehearsal process repeatedly, to ensure I capture all details of the session. I will then record these findings using qualities notes. As I am working with consenting adults at this point I will not need a gatekeeper.

   Insider Researcher

What is your own position as an insider- researcher?

   Working within care and residential homes, I am able to observe and account experiences of performances within different environments. I can compare my own experiences with that of other professionals I interview throughout my inquiry to get a balanced viewpoint.

What are the important considerations about the people and the culture of the organisation(s) that you work in (paid or unpaid) that the audience for your inquiry need to know about?

 As discussed in previous blogs, working with vulnerable adults, it is vital all ethical considerations are carefully thought out. Anyone involved at all will be made aware of precautions and restrictions within the research.


Have you discussed this with your SIG and your professional network?

   I have discussed this within my professional network (friends/peers) as I am intending to use them as part of the research within my inquiry. They understand the restrictions and ethical considerations within such a sensitive inquiry and are too looking forward to seeing the outcome of the research.


   Having all these tools for research means you can really gain a huge amount of information about your chosen question, getting the best possible results!!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment