Friday 30 October 2015

My Kolbs learning cycle

One aspect of Reader 2 I was particularly drawn to was 'Kolbs learning cycle'. Here is a diagram of how the cycle works;
*taken from (http://cdn-5.simplypsychology.org/learning-kolb.jpg)

I realised that I have used the cycle for many years in my professional life and my training without knowing it, as I am always reflecting and evaluating my work in order to improve.

My example of Kolbs learning cycle

Concrete experience
Solo dance for third year production of chorus Line

During our third year of training we performed in 'A Chorus Line' as part of our show Case, inviting agents to potentially sign us to their books. I was cast as 'Cassie', my dream role, in which I had to perform a solo song and also technical solo dance. So much was riding on this, I put myself under so much pressure to make everything perfect so I would be signed by a prestigious agent. The dance was extremely technical with many sequences of pirouettes into leaps and layouts; a particularly challenging routine. My choreographer suggested I filmed myself rehearsing the piece so I could see first hand what needed to be tightened and improved, so I could work on it a refine the whole piece. So this is what I did in order to evaluate myself.

Reflective Observation
I took the video footage from rehearsals and went through it with a fine tooth comb. As I was able to observe for myself my own movements, I could see what technically was strong and what needed improvement. There were certain lines that were off which I was unaware of, and my pirouettes were not as clean and sharp as they should be. All this knowledge was gained through self observation, so I was able to reflect on my performance and work out how I could make it better.

Abstract Conceptualisation
What did I learn?
1. Sometimes I put too much energy into the movements, making them look uncontrolled and sloppy.
2. During the longer pirouette sequences, my core is not fully engaged making my back arch and the line is lost.
3. Although my kicks are clean and extended, my flexibility could be improved to develop the kicks and leaps within the piece.


Active experimentation
Planning/trying out what I have learned
1. I worked on overall control by slowly going through the routine, going through each transition to make them as tight and clean as possible, ensuring every move was carried out precisely. By breaking this down and doing it repeatedly, it becomes part of your muscle memory, so when it comes to performing it, muscle memory kicks in and I am no longer going out of control.
2. I worked on my core through abdominal exercises and Pilates, strengthening my core and my back muscles so my centre was much more supported. I then continued to practice the sequences, really focusing on engaging those muscles so the lines were correct.
3. Flexibility is something I continuously work on; stretching everyday to push for greater flexibility throughout my body. I focused on my hamstrings and glutes more for the routine to really develop my kicks.

This continuously goes on throughout my career, using this cycle in everything I do; reflecting on my work, aiming to improve it, then trying it out again, therefore starting the process all over again. I feel for us to grow, we must learn to evaluate ourselves so we can work on areas of improvement.


No comments:

Post a Comment