Wednesday 11 November 2015

Inquiry questions.... Continued

I find it easier and more pleasing on the eye to break these questions up into several blogs. That way the reader does not have to scroll through huge amounts of text, and can take in short snippets at a time, fully absorbing the info and forming opinions themselves.

• What in your daily practice gets you really enthusiastic to find out more about? Who do you admire who also works with what makes you enthusiastic?

    Since a young age I have always enjoyed choreography that tells a story, reflecting a narrative in some way. My favourite musical is West Side story, as Jerome Robbins was so revolutionary in his work, creating the first choreography that carried the narrative within a musical. Combining  pedestrian moves with dance, using physical contact and space, he managed to establish character relationships, action and drama so effectively without any spoken word. Since then, other choreographers such as Matthew Bourne have developed on this choreographic style, developing it even further.



Before choreographing Swan Lake, Matthew Bourne spent a significant time studying real swans and their behaviour. He used the movement of the birds and created a piece that truly reflected the characters and the plot.  Using arm lines to create the illusion of  wings, beaks and the long neck and elevated movements to give the impression of flight. So revolutionary was Swan Lake, it became the longest running ballet in the West End and Broadway.
   I am really enthusiastic about this kind of choreography, as I feel it gives the dance more of a purpose. I use this often when devising myself; drawing upon real experiences and real people to create a piece that communicates a story or message to the audience. I enjoy studying a subject either historical or social, looking now this can be communicated through movement, evoking the audience into thinking about a certain subject or mood.
 


• What gets you angry or makes you sad? Who do you admire who shares your feelings or has found away to work around the sadness or anger?

     I don't really get angry, but I am often saddened and even frustrated about being a performer. In a world full of employed doctors, bankers and lawyers, performers are often overlooked and not taken seriously as a profession. Even though we have trained and dedicated our lives to perfecting our trade, it is sometimes difficult to do everyday things such as apply for a mortgage or insure a car.
   I have always worked hard to ensure I have regular income, be it from performing, teaching or temping, yet we are deemed a financial liability simply from the label 'performer'. This is down to
short contracts and not the same wage coming in at the end of the month. Sometimes this makes me wish I had a 'normal' job, so applying for mortgages and credit cards was simpler.
   Yet my partner  (non performer) always encourages me to continue, following my passions rather than a pay cheque. He talks me through things and always seems to get me through bad patches. I take a step back and think about all the amazing opportunities I have had through my career; travelling the world on a cruise, dancing at the Royal Albert Hall, Performing to huge crowds, and I remember how lucky I am. Although it may be frustrating, the rewards far way out the problems and I have a life to enjoy rather than being bogged down by material issues.

I found this article really interesting to see just how performers like myself go though day to day life, taking 'day jobs' to survive, and the anger and sadness it sometimes brings.

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2010/jan/24/artists-day-jobs


No comments:

Post a Comment