Wednesday 18 November 2015

Task 3b Theories relating to networking


Co operation
   Robert Axelrod (1984) asks some extremely thought provoking questions; 'When should a person cooperate, and when should a person be selfish, in an ongoing interaction with another person? Should a friend keep providing favors to another friend who never reciprocates? Should a business provide prompt service to another business that is about to be bankrupt?' (Robert Axelrod, the Evolution of Cooperation, preface, vii). It got me thinking about my own experiences and when I have been cooperative, when I have been selfish and how these choices have had an effect on my future. In every performance contract I have undertaken, I always give 100% into the show, being as cooperative with my company and the directors as possible. I feel if a cast is working as a team, it reflects in the performance and creates a greater working environment as a whole as everyone reeps the benefits. However Axelrods concept of Game Theory suggests we 'cooperate until maximum benefit produced then defect’ which I cannot agree with, as this suggests we have a clear strategy to use people for benefits. I feel taking advantage of people the  dropping them is a harsh and detached form of networking, and in the long run using people will backfire on you.

Affiliation
   Crisp and Turner's theory on affiliation suggests 'our tendency to seek out others and form close relationships' is a psychological thing we inherit, as it provides us 'with a network of support that will help us when we are in need' (Crisp and Turner, Essential Social Psychology, chapter 11, pg 323). The privacy regulation theory (Altman 1975) proposes that this need for affiliation fluctuates depending on on our desire for privacy, whereas O'Connor and Rosenblood (1996) argues we control our level of affiliation to a desired level, according to the principle of homeostasis. Whilst I agree I agree with parts of each practitioners theories, as I think it is a natural thing in our psyche to seek out like for like people when forming relationships. I do feel however, whilst O'Connor and Rosenblood suggests our brain processes our affiliation, I believe circumstances and environments play a bigger part in this. I think it is important to surround yourself with similar people, particularly when networking, in order to create new relationships. If you choose to participate in. To irises of interest; dance classes or workshops, you will automatically out yourself in a greater position to affiliate with others, therefore allowing your network to expand.
   I feel I am a proactive person, regularly attending classes, auditions and workshops. Although I try and make a conscious effort to talk to others and form affiliated networks, I am sometimes to engrossed in the session (class, workshop etc) I forget to converse with others. I will attempt at making more of an effort, by ensuring I stay around afterwards to chat to other professionals, as I feel this will help me make more contacts for the future.

Theory of connectivity

Social Constructionism
   It has taken me a while to get my head around this process, only to then realise this is a theory I have lived by for years. They key concept is that we construct meanings through our social interaction which are then projected into the world. Michael Crotty explains 'what construction claims is that meanings are constructed by human beings as they engage with the world they are interpreting'(Michael Crotty, Chapter 3: Constructionism, the making of meaning, pg 43). This is turn means, through interaction, we create networks networks through like minded people, by our perception of situations.
    For a few years I have lived by 'The Secret', a book by Rhonda Byrne . Her whole theory is that our thoughts and feelings project into the world and directly affect our lives. I always aim to think positively, so I project this into the world and attract this back to me. This applies to people too, as I believe positive thinking attracts like for like people, therefore you create networks with others that share the same feelings.

Connectivism
   Connectivism relates back to the work on Web 2.0 covered earlier in the module, explaining how networks provide information and it is exchanged through the internet. George Siemens (2004) writes about how education has developed over time and now 'technology is altering (rewiring) our brains. The tools we use define and shape our thinking' (Siemens, A learning theory of the Digital Age, 2004). Whilst I understand the importance of the internet and how useful this tool can be, I feel this cannot be a sole tool of practice. If one was to rely upon the internet entirely for information and networking, it would cut off human communication and contact. This restricts our levels of networking to purely 'online'. As a professional, I feel we must engage with this theory, but only as part of a broader networking system.

Communities of practice
   A community of practice can be many things, on many platforms, both online and in person. We must understand when working on a project or show,it goes so much further than the performers. There is a whole catalogue of professionals; lighting designers, costume makers, stage management etc who make up a whole community of practice within a production. It is important to cooperate with these people, learning from their experiences and developing relationships.
    Lave and Wenger states 'rather than learning by replicating the performances of others, or by acquiring knowledge transmitted in instructed, we suggest that learning occurs through centripetal participation in the learning curriculum of the ambient community. (Lave and Wegner, situated learning; Legitimate Peripheral Participation, pg 100). Of all the articles in this module, this rings truer to me than any other theory. I feel the best way to learn is by 'doing' and being surrounded by other professionals and learn from their experiences. If you are engaged within a community of practice, you are able to create your own experiences, learning directly rather than from information given to you in a textbook or article.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment