Monday 16 November 2015

Task 3a. Current Networks

• What are the current and different ways (tools) that you have, or do, engage your professional network?

  Over the years, I have managed to develop my networking skills, using different tools to help me do so. After graduating I would say biggest network was my friends and college peers, finding out about auditions and trends within the industry , sharing our knowledge and helping one another. This links with Robert Axelrods theory of cooperation, and whilst I do agree mostly with his theory, I feel this is a harsh approach on success, almost suggesting we strategise everything to favour our professional development. I believe life, including your career is about weighing up your options, deciding what will be most beneficial on the whole for you and your career. Axelrod says 'effective strategies continue to be used and ineffective strategies are dropped'  (Robert Axelrod, the Evolution of Cooperation, preface, x). Whilst I agree with this statement, I do not think I consciously strategise , but I simply make decisions when necessary, always striving for success and development.
  As I progressed within my career my network grew as I began to work with different people and attend various different workshops and classes. They also introduced me to several online networking tools, such as Facebook groups, Linkd in, and various twitter pages. Through these Web 2.0 tools, and as my career continues, my network carries on growing and I establish new relationships, be it online or in person, which in turn helps me grow as a professional.

• What are the established (and different) ways that others use their networks, especially if they are more established or experienced practitioners that you admire?
 
    I think many people (including myself) use affiliation as a networking tool. I believe it is human nature to be drawn to people who are similar and share similar experiences with you. During my career, I have met many other professionals who have been so similar to myself, I am naturally drawn to them and remain in contact with. They in turn have brought other people into my life, through  an affiliation e.g a common passion for a particular class, which has refined my network and given me even more contacts in the performance arts. This can be done in person, or even more commonly now, through the powers of social media.
   This links in with Social Constructionism; using human interaction to construct our own meanings. We use these social networking sites and groups to interact with others, often having a purpose e.g find out about an audition, look for tour gigs. I have a colleague who is fantastic at using this tool, managing to scroll social media to find out and achieve anything, gaining new contacts and connections regularly. I admire their perseverance, as often this can take some time before having any actual contact with the necessary people, and their sheer determination to succeed it what they set out to do. I could learn many things from this as another form of networking myself.
 


• Are there methods, approaches and technologies that you use socially that might apply and help you develop your professional networking?

     As we grow and mature as individuals, we often look for other approaches and skills to apply to our career to flourish and thrive even more within our field. Networking is a huge part of this,and we must take advantage of as many methods and technologies to expand our circles. As discussed previously, I feel I use cooperation to a certain extent, yet I feel this theory is a little too hard hitting and lacking human compassion to others.
    I rely upon social communities of practice in my networking, informal groups both online and in person to network. When meeting a group of friends in the same profession, you have (without realising) created a social community, in which you will use to network. You talk about work, upcoming auditions, new shows and choreographers, and share this knowledge with the group. Each person will take away something from this meeting and benefit from the information learnt and shared. This is the same for the social media group 'The Hustle';  network of performers who use the group to talk about auditions, ask questions, and share new works. This group is formed through affiliation, creating a social community of practice and also relates to the theory of Connectivism- using the internet to transfer knowledge.
      By combining methods, you establish a greater understanding that can be used for your professional network on many different levels.
 

• When you reflect upon current networks, can you think about the motives of others to be in the network and what values and purpose they have in mind?

    Of course, networking is always for some sort of professional gain and I think everyone understands and accepts this on some level.  What I think is difficult is when forming new friendships with people in the industry.  It can be mistaken for having a hidden agenda for your own gain, when the friendship could be completely legitimate. Unfortunately this happens all too often, using people for their connections, almost as a stepping stone for the next level in their career. It leaves people very untrustworthy and weary of others ulterior motives within friendships and relationships.

• What would your ideal network look like and why?

    The performance industry can be a fickle and ruthless place at times, feeling a little like shark infested water. My ideal network would be full of producers, choreographers, directors and other professionals, that all respected each other, used their skills and knowledge to help others and in turn they would be helped themselves. Everything would be up front, with no selfish and nasty back stabbing, allowing people to be honest and therefore create a direct, authentic network, in which you could trust people without being misled.


• What realistic things could you do to work towards developing your
ideal network?

    I am always looking to develop my network, focusing on my ideal as much as possible. I try to surround myself with positive people, who are upfront and honest. Luckily the industry is a 'small world' and news travels fast within circles. You soon find out who is untrustworthy, unreliable and negative, therefore I try and avoid these people as it can be debilitating to associate with people who are 'blacklisted'. However I always ensure I attend new classes, new workshops with different practitioners, so I am introduced to more and more people within the business, and carry on developing my professional network. I think it is important to continue to go to as many auditions as possible as well, talking to others, sharing knowledge and experience, and broadening your views even further. Sometimes in castings, sheer luck can come into it, and sometimes it's about who you know, so the more you expose yourself the more chance you are giving to land yourself in that 'lucky' spot.


• What tools and methods do you need to use? What do you know about
your current, and intended networks, and importantly, what do you not know

    I do not think there are specific tools we need to use solely and completely, but rather take parts from many methods to create our own personalised networking skill, that works best for us as an individual. We can take advice from others peers, listen to teachers advice, and research for ourselves many other practitioners work and draw upon their thoughts and wisdom to create your own interpretation.





2 comments:

  1. Hi Ami,

    I really can relate to your thoughts upon Current Networks and find your opinions very interesting. I have subconsciously used the method of 'Cooperation' within training and after graduation, however I do agree that various principles of the theory are harsh and in a way quite abrupt. I would never use someone for personal gain but I agree with your view that, you do not 'consciously strategise, but simply make decisions when necessary, always striving for success and development.'

    With regards to Professional Networking within the performing arts industry, would you say that a standard conversation or interaction by 'word of mouth' is more common than networking via the web?

    I completely agree with your answer for 'What would your ideal network look like and why?', as I too believe that there isn't enough honesty and equality within the industry. Creating a network like this will build a stronger bond within our industry, and will broaden our knowledge of our profession.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bethany thanks for the comment. It's great to know people have shared opinions.
    I do agree with word of mouth being a great networking tool. I often find out about other projects whilst at auditions for sow thing different. It's important to keep a close ear to the ground in order to keep up with this fast paced industry.

    ReplyDelete