Tuesday 10 November 2015

Task 2d Inquiry



As a performer and freelance teacher, my daily practice changes drastically from day to day. One day I could be singing in residential homes for a very small crowd of elderly people, the next day dancing in a theatre for hundreds, then teaching a group of eager teenagers. I never have a 'normal' day and I love this as I am continuously kept on my toes, always learning from my working environment and the people around me. I have many professionals I admire, things I love, yet still so many things I do not understand and even become angry about. During these next few blogs I will share my thoughts and aspirations, people and work that inspire me, and also parts of my industry I struggle to understand. Please feel free to comment and share your experiences too.

• What do you love about what you do? Who do you admire who also seems to love this or is an example of what you love?

    My greatest passion, from an early age, has always been dance. Everything about it; the release I get from moving to a great piece of music, the satisfying ache the day after a hard day in the studio, knowing your muscles have truly worked. The sweat, willpower and teamwork of putting together a show, followed by the euphoria of performing in front of a pleasing crowd. I have never had something so fulfilling before or after, and I know in my heart, no matter what I will always be a dancer.
     I am always looking for inspiration, constantly searching YouTube for new works, new choreography and also checking on my favourite choreographers for new material. Yanis Marshall is someone who has kept me captivated with his choreography; breaking the boundaries of commercial dance, consistently motivating my creativity and inspiring me. I love his passion, the way he moves to the music like its extension of his body, and how he is not afraid to think outside the box and be who he truly wants to be.

This is an example of his lyrical work, a style he is not 'famous' for. The way in which he seems to connect with the music is incredible to me, picking up on every beat and utilising it.

And this is what he is best known for. Pure attitude in high heels. I love the way his breaks the mould of male dancers, yet inspiring male and female dancers around the world. These two videos show his versatility, something all dancers strive for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment