Monday 2 November 2015

Task 2b- Reflective Writing Task


Journal Writing Experience.


 As part of Part 2 – The reflective Practitioner, we are required to keep a journal, and were given several frameworks to try out. I tried each framework out, using different styles each night. I found a few of these helpful in my reflection, whilst a couple I felt were not so successful for me and my writing style. I ended up combining a few frameworks together to create a journal style that I feel works well for my reflection, giving me chance to go over them before evaluating them and seeing how to move forward from the experience.


Below is an entry from my journal, using combined frameworks:


Description-   The main event was performing as part of a 40s show, at a theatre in Bradford. I was involved in an ‘Andrews sisters’ trio tribute and also sang as ‘Gracie Fields’. Technical rehearsals took place in the morning, followed by the show later on.

Initial Reflection- This was the first gig in which our trio performed together, as part of a new act. I was nervous, yet really excited, going over harmonies and choreography over and over to ensure I was secure with everything. I was also nervous to perform as Gracie Fields, however these were just normal stage jitters I suffer from when required to sing solo. The show went really well and I was happy with the audience’s reaction.  I was full of adrenaline afterwards and excited for future shows.

Evaluation- I felt the experience was an overall success, with everything going according to plan and was received well by the audience. Our harmonies were tight and the choreography was polished. With regards to my solo set, I thought it was successful; however I felt the nerves got the better of me in the first song. Once I relaxed into it, my voice was much better and the characterisation of Gracie Fields really came out. I need to work on this characterisation for future gigs, because it is a tribute, the more character study you do, the more successful the act. As a trio we need to learn more material, with costume changes and more complex choreography in order for us to grow and develop.

Plan of Action- Continue to listen and study music by Gracie Fields, so I can further my development and sharpen my act. As a trio we are picking out some more material to begin working on, and hiring a vocal coach to help us work on our harmonies so they are as polished as possible. We are also rehearsing to film a show reel to send to agents who will help us get further and more frequent work.

This is similar to Honey and Mumfords adaptation of Kolb’s cycle (Honey and Mumford ,1992) where they created four stages;
Having an experience
Reviewing the experience
Concluding from the experience
Planning the next steps

I agree with the importance of reflecting upon my experiences, with journal writing being a great way for me to keep up with my experiences, as sometimes we are so busy doing, we forget to reflect. By spending time each evening reflecting upon the day, we see a true insight into our work and how we can draw upon experiences to grow and develop as professionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment